Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A Social Commentary

I found this article completely offensive to 600 pound dead people.

A dead man had one final earthly act before moving on.

Fire officials said the six-hundred pound man was in being cremated when his body fluids were too much for the oven.

The body fluids seeped out onto the floor and ignited causing a fire at the Garner Funeral Home in Salt Lake City. "Those fluids can be very flammable," said Scott Freitag of the Salt Lake City fire department. "Sort of like a grease fire."

An employee used an extinguisher to put out the fire.

The room is self-contained and has its own drainage system. "There really is no risk or a hazard of it getting into the sewer system, the water system or into the general public," said Freitag.

Firefighters rarely see these kind of fires. But they say a six-hundred-pound body can create problems during a cremation. "It really does condense or breaks down that fat into a greasy product, just like a grease fire," said Freitag. "Only a little bit can cause a flame to go up."

The crematorium is back in business and the funeral director said they'll notify the family to assure them their loved one wasn't harmed.
  • First of all, to describe a family member's cremation as "a grease fire," is offensive.
  • Second of all, how can they notify the family that their loved one wasn't harmed, when obviously he was being cremated. The harm came from calling the guy a grease fire.
  • Thirdly, to assume the fire was a byproduct of the guy's girth is offensive. It could possibly have been because he had drank a gallon of gasoline before his death.
  • And finally, to add the line "A dead man had one final earthly act before moving on" is totally offensive, implying that the guy turned himself into a grease fire on purpose. I'm pretty sure he was a complete accidental grease fire.

The offensive article is found here. I am going to make it my life's goal to point out (make fun of) any article that can be deemed as offensive.

My powers must be used for the good of mankind. (Snicker)

6 comments:

Aisby said...

This is truly disgusting.

Just D said...

Which part, the article, the fire or my take on it? ;-)

Aisby said...

All of the above, but the fact that body fat caused a "grease" fire in a crematorium is really disgusting.

Odat said...

I wonder if it smelled like chicken????
Peace

mist1 said...

Oh. My. G*d.

I bet he spattered all over the place.

misanthropster said...

Odat-

You ever heard the term "the long pork?" I'm thinking it smelled more like a good, old-fashioned southern barbecue.