1. Poppycock - it means bullshit (basically)
2. Oops a Daisy - usually said after tripping or dropping something
3. Tuckered out - tired
4. For Pete's Sake - used in place of the now popular "dammit"
5. For Crying Out Loud - replaced by the also popular "fuck"
6. Put Up Job - a scheme or trick (a boondoggle)
7. Pass the Buck - blame someone else
8. Watch you Ps and Qs - to be polite
9. All Washed Up - fucked up
10. Ballyhoo - loud uproar
11. Hootenanny - music gathering
12. Horse Sense - common sense
13. Hunky Dory - very good
14. Tarnation - ouch
15. Rapscallion - naughty person
16. Cockamamy - bullshit
17. Heeby-Jeebies - having the jitters
18. Thrice - three times
19. Mad as a Hatter - crazy
20. Boondocks - far away from everything
This is, of course, just a drop in the bucket of antiquated phrases. Most of these, like poppycock, would just make a person look at you weird if you used them. Although I suppose I do have to remember that I live in the south and they talk funny here.
Odat has added her own entries (which, by the way, I couldn't top even if I wanted to):
Holy fucking cow! Don't go getting your feathers all ruffled. Just hold your horses. By hook or by crook I'll redeem myself. Really. I was only being honest as the day is long by using the word poppycock. It conveyed a feeling in response to my total amazement at your evilness percentage! Was just trying to say I think your full of beans!
Sassan has added some very cool words to the list:
Lampoon: to mock or make fun of
Bamboozle: to swindle or deceive
Ersatz: an inferior imitation
Juggernaut: a powerful force
Spiffy: see swell
Swell: see spiffy
Dynamite!: (exclamation) outstanding
Twinhead has added to the list:
As big as a house: a fat personAnd my favorite cranky dude had this to add:
Gee. What a groovy list. I mean it's just bitchin'! Outta site! Right on!
I love this topic!