Monday, July 03, 2006

Christmas in July

This really should be saved as a Christmas post, but I'll never remember to do it then, so I'll do it now, just because I was thinking about it.

This occurred back in the days of my domestication. My son was about 3 years old, but very smart for his age. It was near Christmas time, so I left the kids home with my husband (at the time) and went Christmas shopping. Off I went. I came back with a trunk load of stuff. My son saw me pull into the driveway and came running out to the car. "What did you get me what did you get me what did you get me???" Nothing son, don't ask questions this close to Christmas. "But what did you get me what did you get me what did you get me??" I couldn't get out of the car. In his excitement he had planted himself right at my doorway and would not budge until I told him what I got him. So there I was, the trunk laden with Christmas gifts. I was forced to give the child an offering so that I would be allowed out of the car. I grabbed the closest thing at hand, which happened to be a new frying pan (that wasn't a gift, it was just a new pan). I handed it to him and said, "Here, this is what I got you. Enjoy."

The kid was absolutely delighted. He ran into the house to show his daddy and his sister what mom got him, and took his new frying pan into his bedroom and stashed it under his bed. He wouldn't let anyone touch it. After a couple of days I asked him could I use the new frying pan. "NO, ITS MINE!!!"

He kept that thing under his bed for weeks. After I was sure he had forgotten about it I went in and got it out and used it. As far as I know he never noticed it was gone.

I think I'll get him a new frying pan for Christmas this year, just for a laugh. ;-)

2 comments:

Maria said...

What a great story! There is nothing better than Christmas! You really shoud get him the Frying Pan for Christmas... you do owe it to him!... LOL Be well always, M

Deb said...

I may just do that this year. He's a good kid, he would definitely see the humor. lol