Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11, 2001

Today is the 5th anniversary of an event that changed the way we live our lives. Before that day we were a mostly carefree nation, going about our business as if we were untouchable.

We weren't.

I remember where I was the second that it happened, as I'm sure most of us do. I was here, in my apartment, waiting for the maintenance guy because my toilet (of all things) was broken. I was watching Good Morning America, as was my habit, and right at the end they mentioned an explosion at the World Trade Center. They panned the camera over to show the smoke billowing out, and as I was watching, another plane flew into the second tower. It was horrifying. I called the people at work, I called my ex husband, I called the WRS (who was in England and had no idea what was going on). I was glued to the televison, watching the horror unfold. I cried when the towers collapsed because I knew what that meant, that hundreds, if not thousands, of people just died right before my very eyes.

The maintenance guy came and left, and I had no other excuse but to go on to work, but the mood there was subdued. The television played constantly, usually with a group of people around it.

Since that day our lives have revolved more around terrorism and what to do about it, how to avoid it, how to spot it. We seem to live our lives in fear. In some ways the terrorists won on that day.

3 comments:

Odat said...

Thank you.
(they didn't win).

BikerbabeNJ said...

A solemn day for sure.

mark robert allen said...

i feel sad that my children will probably never know the world of pre-9/11 blissful innocence that i grew up in.