Friday, September 01, 2006

Edinburgh At Last

After my adventures finding the museum, I found my way back to the hotel for a well deserved nap. It is exhausting trying to be cultured and stuff.

I slept for a bit and then The WRS came by to pick me up to go eat. We headed to a couple of pubs, the Wetherspoon, which I am told is a chain and not that big of a deal, but I liked it - and I am not sure the name of the other one, Bon Arrow or something like that. I had some Belgium beer which was odd tasting and some Scottish beer which was odd tasting. I probably shouldn't drink beer, seeing as how I don't like it much anyway, but I thought I was in Scotland and that I needed to do what the Scots do. hehe

We then found an Indian Karaoke restaurant. It was loaded with very drunk singers, but we found a quiet corner and ordered some take out and took it to the hotel room to eat.

On to Sunday Morning - -

I woke up feeling adventurous and headed out to find the train station. I was determined to see Edinburgh. I located the train station and got on, pretending I knew what I was doing. I found a seat, and soon found myself surrounded by.. and I hesitate to sound stereotypical here.. but if I were a suspicious type person, I would have called them "terrorists." Sitting next to me, across from me, around me, and they were all together and they were all speaking in tongues and taking loads of pictures. One guy walked by looking for a seat in the middle of all of this and the terrorists leaned together and whispered "American" in an awed type tone. I decided then I was keeping my mouth shut for the entire train trip.

So I blended. At least until I got to Edinburgh and one of the terrorists was polite enough to let me out first. I said, "Thanks!" In my American midwestern with a slight southern twang accent. I have to be at least a little defiant ya know.

Now on with the show........


This is Bothwell Street in Glasgow, it is about 2 blocks down from my hotel.





George Square in Glasgow.





This was my first view of Edinburgh as I came out the door of the train station. I must have looked like a kid in a candy shop, standing there looking around like I was, my mouth hanging open in awed fascination.





This was on the door to one of the attractions in Glasgow. I thought it very funny, and so politically incorrect. If this was on a shop door in the U.S. I can only imagine the offended howls that would take place. It says, "Shop Till You Drop." A riot I tell ya.





Another picture of Edinburgh. I can't remember what it was though, just pretty is all, I suppose.





Edinburgh.





This is a tower that was in the park I was heading to. I took loads of pictures of this, but the Sin City signs below it look a bit out of place.





This is looking up Princess Street. The park is to the right and behind me.





A closer view of the tower. You can go up in the tower and look around, but I didn't do it. I'm scared of heights.





This was taken up in the direction of the Edinburgh castle.



That is all for the pictures, my memory card was full and my battery ran out. I have learned my lesson though, when being a tourist always have an extra memory card and an extra battery. ;-)

1 comment:

Odat said...

Photography is great D!